May 15, 2013

World of Books: Gaby + Boston, Massachusetts

 Everyone has their neighborhood bookstore or their local library they call home. Maybe both even. I know I do - in TWO different cities! So how's this going to work? This week I'm going to share my bookish hotspots in Boston, the city I went to college in. I'm visiting for the week and thought this would be the ideal time to share with all of you. Then in two weeks, someone else will come on the blog and feature THEIR beloved local bookstores/libraries. 

I spent 3 and a half years in Boston. I wasn't AS bookish as I am not back then - I was too busy doing I can't even remember what. But I still had those times when I would break off from my friends and just go do my thing. 


The Boylston Street Entrance
The Dartmouth Street Entrance
The Boston Public Library Copley Branch is a STUNNING place. Admittedly, the main library is big, but pretty standard looking. If you keep going, though (considering this library is HUGE), you'll make your way through the prettiest of all courtyards. It's very much inside the library but still outdoors and in the spring and summer it's the best place I can think of to read a book. There's even a restaurant within the library, right next to the courtyard, in case you get a little peckish and didn't bring a snack. 


If you walk through the courtyard, to the other side of the library, you'll see stunning arches, giant lion sculptures, beautiful paintings, rare book rooms, study/reading lounges and other areas of amazing. Honestly, it's like a museum and a library in one.


There are also a bunch of conference rooms. One of my high school English teachers wrote a book and we went to a reading and a signing there. NaNoWriMo also occasionally has events there. 



Located on Newbury Street, Trident boasts the reads and the eats. Their selection isn't HUGE, but as a whole, the concept is genius and it's one of my very favorite places to go when it's just a bit too cold out. There's free wifi, caffeine and a really adorable atmosphere where I can actually get things done. They also occasionally have fun bookish events!


SO MANY FLOORS
I didn't only go to my university's bookstore of my school books (most of which I got for cheaper on Amazon - SORRY BU). After a particularly hard exam or day or whatever, I'd sometimes head over to the bookstore, which was never more than a fifteen minute walk from my dorm, and see what goodies looked interesting. A lot of the times I'd leave with nothing, but I always enjoyed the trip. 



The Brookline Booksmith is an independent bookstore in Coolidge Corner and you guys know how great independent bookstores are. Well, this one in particular is extra amazing. Mostly because I have emotional attachments to place. Then again, emotional attachments ARE the bread and butter of independent bookstores. Either way, they have a lot of fun events, used books AND the store itself is just a mile away from campus - aka the best combo for the Manhattan girl who loves a good walk and a good books. PS: Just down the block from Brookline Booksmith is J.P. Licks and I swear you haven't had ice cream until you've had some J.P. Licks.

Are YOU interested in sharing your bookish haunts? To the right of this post there are a bunch of little round, black icons that take you to my different social media. One of those icons is an envelope - click on that and shoot me an email if you want to share your hangouts with the world! I hope to feature as many of you as are interested!

16 comments:

  1. THIS FEATURE IS AWESOME. Our friendship can resume. Not only that, I'd totally be willing to do a Los Angeles one at some point! I love this idea.

    Also, the Boston Public Library? Are you kidding me with that place? How freaking gorgeous is that? (Also, hello Alanna of Trebond, I see you there.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I'm SO GLAD our friendship is safe!! And I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO DO AN LA ONE!!!!!

      PS: I will be your tour guide if you visit Boston and we can go there first!!! ^_^

      PPS: OBVS YOU SEE ALANNA OF TREBOND. OBVS.

      Delete
  2. This is such a cool idea! The Boston public library looks amazing! I totally want to go there. This makes me think of my fav places in Seattle -- I'd love to do one sometime of Seattle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely go to the Boston Public Library! It's SO amazing!!! And I'd love to have you DO Seattle! Just send me an email and we can pick a date for you to do it!

      Delete
  3. This is awesome! I am so sad I did not have time to visit Boston while I lived in the US.
    I would totally be into doing Edinburgh or my hometown in Finland at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should TOTALLY sign up to do Edinburgh or Finland! I'd love to have you on the blog ^_^

      Also, YOU CAN STILL MAKE IT BACK TO BOSTON. That library is going NOWHERE, I assure you.

      Delete
  4. I'm in love with this feature. IN LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun feature! You'll have to show me all your favorite bookish places in the city this summer! I don't have any fun places where I live. I mean, they probably exist, but I mainly just go to the library and it is nothing to write home about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take you to ALLLLLL of the places, my dear. Don't you worry. Especially the libraries, since YOU NEED THEM.

      Delete
  6. Geez, I love this feature SO MUCH GABY. SO MUCH. <3 <3 and just .. LOOK AT THE GRAPHIC. :-D ;)

    I want to go to ALL THESE PLACES in Boston!!! I may be heading up there this summer sometime, so looks like I have some stops to make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS FOR THE GRAPHIC LOVE CASSIE.

      And if you DO go to Boston this summer, LET ME KNOW. I can't promise I can be up there to show you around, but I CAN make you a list of places you MUST go!

      Delete
  7. The Boston Library is amazing just seeing the pictures makes me want to go there right now. I must visit! I recently visited the Salt Lake City library and that is pretty amazing too!!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really MUST GO. I just love amazing libraries. Maybe I need to check out the Salt Lake situation... Library Tour Across America? I wish.

      Delete
  8. You already know this but who cares right: I LOVE THIS FEATURE AND I LOVE THE GRAPHIC YOU MADE. I've always wanted to go to a bookstore with a cafe (I don't know if there's any in Holland). Also, since this comment doesn't have enough caps lock, THE BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY IS SOOOOO PRETTY! Take me there, please. I want to live there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely LOVE this feature Gaby, and I wanted to say so in a comment even though I've already told you on Twitter and in person! I think it's very clever, and I also think that a lot of people will have TONS of awesome places to share. If you ever want another NY post (since that's sure to be upcoming for you), I'd be happy to discuss it ;)

    The Boston Public Library is magical though. I would certainly like to read/visit/LIVE in there.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!