March 31, 2013

Veronica Mars Watch-Along Week 2

[Graphic designed by the lovely Judith of Paper Riot]
So, how does this work, super sleuths? Go check out the Watch-Along kick off post for the skinny. I'll give you a second just in case...

All caught up? Good.

In case you already know the basics and just forgot what episodes are up today, here's the list:
  • "Pilot"
  • "Credit Where Credit's Due"
And, for NEXT WEEK:
  • "Meet John Smith"
  • "The Wrath of Con"

Now my Supafly friends, let's get down to business.

THE THEME SONG
We used to be friends indeed, Dandy Warhols. INDEED. Considering a theme song is supposed to somehow be indicative of what you're about to watch, COLOR ME INTERESTED. I like drama. That's not happening to me.

THE BIG OPENING
Everything after the theme song is similarly amazing and exciting. I mean, way to have an opening, Rob Thomas. Some kid? Tied up on a flagpole? And our protagonist is the only person in the crowd who will cut him down? BAMF.

But seriously, what's up with this crowd that they won't cut this kid down? This seriously does not look like any high school I would want to attend. Nor does this look much like a town I would want to live in. In the first ten minutes of the show it's made pretty clear that Neptune, as well as its high school, is composed of the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS and the gap between them is ENORMOUS. It ain't pretty. No, seriously. It's actually kind of violent.

MEET THE CAST
Anyway, so while this whole HAVES and HAVE NOTS thing is playing in the background, we meet the whole cast of characters: 
  • Veronica (our leading lady aka V)
  • Wallace (the sidekick)
  • Weevil (the biker gang leader)
  • Logan (the obligatory psychotic jackass aka V's ex-friend)
  • Lilly (the dead girl aka V's bestie)
  • Duncan (the dead girl's brother aka V's ex)
  • Keith (V's dad aka parental awesomeness)
  • Cliff (the hilarious lawyer friend)
  • Backup (V's puppy - HI PUPPY)
  • Lamb (the new sheriff aka GOD I HATE YOU)
  • Lianne (V's mom aka MORE ANGER)
  • Jake Kane (Lilly and Duncan's dad)
  • Celeste Kane (Lilly and Duncan's mom aka crazypants)
  • Mrs. Navarro (Weevil's grandmother aka WOW her grandkids are awful)
This isn't everyone and not everyone listed above is SUPER important, but I like 'em. Slash find them interesting, at the very least. 

WIT AND SNARK
Some of my favorite parts? 
  • "Sister, the only time I care what a woman has to say is, is when she’s riding my big old hog but even then it’s not so much words, just a bunch of oohs and aahs, you know?"
This whole exchange
  • When Keith comes home from catching a bail jumper and he's all HEY I WAS COOL but really he wasn't but it's STILL GREAT because, well:
  • The entire exchange on the beach from the minute Logan and the 09er's show up until the end of the first episode. 
Be cool, Sodapop
  • The opening of episode 2:
Personally I'm kind of PG myself
THE NOIR
Aside from the cynicism and the wit and the sexual undertones that embody this whole show, there IS, of course, the mystery. 

The structure of this show is pretty genius. I mean, you have the BIG MYSTERY (Lilly's death) that's the main story arc for season 1. And then you have individual mysteries (who's sleeping with who, who's stealing from who...) for each episode. And throughout it all, you have Veronica's voiceover, dispensing background and letting the viewer be privy to her suspicions and thoughts. She's the PI of our noir, which makes sense, since the show is called "Veronica Mars."

Guys. I dunno who killed Lilly based on these first two episodes, but I'm DAYUM EXCITED to find out who did.

Is that too much excitement over a murder mystery? Maybe? Oh well. 

THE BOYS
Now. To close out, I just want to do a review of the man candy (I know you were waiting for this. Don't lie).
  • Duncan: The ex-boyfriend. He defends Veronica a little? Gives her a ride? Can't really make eye contact? Not so bad, but clearly not great. And he's not so cute. He's kinda dough faced? Eh. Underwhelmed.
  • Logan: The ex-friend/psychotic jackass. YO. HE BROKE VERONICA'S CAR. And started in on her boozy mom. And slashes V's tires. I'm actually a little scared of him at this point. Even though he's kinda cute *wink*
  • Troy: Intriguing new boy who helps Veronica with her mysterious flats. He's cute. *wink* But most of all, he's NEW which means he's got nothing to do with the past drama, even though he hangs out with the 09er's. WHICH IS NICE.
  • Weevil: Angry biker who's kinda friends with V? He IS witty (re: gif convo noted above). And he's sometimes helpful. But is he helpful or aggressive and impossible? Who knows.
  • Wallace: BESTIES. WE ARE BESTIES. Veronica's bestie also. And y'know, he's one of those besties who you REALLY HOPE the protagonist doesn't get with because GOD that would be annoying. *crosses fingers and hopes for platonic friendship*

With that, I turn it over to you guys. What's your favorite scene from the first two episodes? Favorite guy? Do you think you know who killed Lilly yet? How about that crazy socio-economic gap? And Lamb. HOW MUCH DO YOU HATE HIM? Basically just discuss on everything noted above AND MORE with me in the comments below, okay?

**ONE LAST REMINDER**
NEXT WEEK:
  • "Meet John Smith"
  • "The Wrath of Con"

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS SHOW. I LOVE YOUR COMMENTARY. I LOVE YOU.

    Totally agree on Duncan. He's so... blank? Useless? Not-Logan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhh I'm pretending like I HAVEN'T seen the whole thing and DON'T know about Logan. Which is why, right now, he's a PSYCHOPATH. But anyways. I'm glad you love the commentary. And me. AND THIS SHOW. That's totally why we're here ^_^

      Delete
  2. YES, Duncan = boring. And I love Veronica & Wallace's friendship! But I definitely enjoy the banter between Weevil and Veronica as well. As far as favorite scenes goes, I think you covered most of mine haha. All the ones you mentioned made me laugh. I've really missed this show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the laughs in this show. They're so SMART and FUN and QUIPPY. It's not like embarrassing humor or that kind of stuff. It's just clever. Which no one wants to put the time into anymore. Anyway, I'm glad you like ^_^

      Delete
  3. I just loved this show. Was just thinking about rewatching it. Can't wait for the movie. So excited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DID I NOT COMMENT ON THIS BEFORE I AM TERRIBLE.
    Anyway. I think you did a great job with the structure! It was better than I'd expected haha. So here's what I have to say: We Used to Be Friends is the soundtrack of my day. And yesterday. And the day before that. And the week before that. Stop me before I start singing the... A LONG TIME AGOOOOO. (too late)

    "V's dad aka parental awesomeness" and "the new sheriff aka GOD I HATE YOU" made me laugh. I was SO ANGRY at Logan when he broke V's car. Like seriously dude?! Anger management issues much? And I didn't dislike Duncan at first. Tbh, I didn't really feel much for him. He was just ... there. No problems, but no spark either. DULL. And now I pretty much hate him :D OH, and I SO HOPED that Wallace and V would just be friends. SO MUCH.

    I AM EXCITED ABOUT THIS SHOW. BUT YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT.
    *flips hair*
    *puts on sunglasses*
    *attempts to make a cool exit*
    (*fails*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logan really does have SERIOUS anger management issues. But I kind of like how that develops. Totally something I'll be exploring. But not yet (OBVIOUSLY).

      PS: I love everything you wrote from "I AM EXCITED..." to "(*fails*)" LAUGHTER I TELL YOU. LAUGHTER.

      Delete
  5. I think Troy is my favorite so far. And Wallace is hilarious. I loath Lamb! He needs to go. He's probably the one who killed Lilly. I love Veronica and her dad's relationship. When they went to the hotel to get the surveillance tape I was laughing so hard. I can't wait to watch more. Thanks for putting up a list of the cast. So many characters are introduced at once and it's hard to keep them all straight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! So many people, so little time. But it's really great, I think. I wouldn't want a show without all of them! >.<

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!