March 19, 2013

Top Ten Books I Had to Buy But Haven't Read Yet (15)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

I am so entirely guilty of buying books, putting them on my shelves and then never getting to them. I know some people have rules: "I only let myself buy one book a week" or "I can only buy one new book when I finish three I already have" and all I have to say is: YOU GUYS ARE STRONG. I will say that I've gotten much better at not buying as many, but I still have a fairly large stack of books I haven't read yet sitting on my shelves.

However, the REAL problem with me writing this post isn't that I don't have 10 books I own that I just haven't gotten to yet. It's that I'm not AT home. So basically this whole post is going to be done from memory. I mean, I do have A WHOLE BUNCH of books here with me I haven't gotten to yet, but I think I'm going to try and make this a list of books I've had for A LONG TIME. Like since before I started blogging long. Just because they deserve the most attention, y'know?

1. Insurgent by Veronica Roth
I picked this one up basically right after finishing Divergent, probably right around it's release date, but I think at this point I may just wait until the 3rd one comes out since everyone's all: OMGNEEDTHENEXTONENOW. I did enjoy Divergent, though, and I do want to read the rest of the series. SO I WILL.

2. The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure by James Dashner
I read The Maze Runner a REALLY LONG TIME AGO and I liked it. So I bought the second one and never got to it. And then I bought the third one because I like complete series and I liked The Maze Runner so I thought it would be a good idea. I haven't gotten to either book in the rest of the series yet. So I'll probably have to re-read The Maze Runner, then read the other two and figure out where I stand now, many years after first reading The Maze Runner (I'm pretty sure I read said book a couple of months after it came out in 2009? My book opinions change over the years, so we'll see).

3. The Dragon Heir by Cinda Williams Chima
This is another series I've neglected. I really loved the first two (when I read them back in high school) and I bought the third with good intentions but obviously the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray (sometimes I try to be LITERARY). Anyway, this series has magic and swords and stuff, which I very much enjoy, so YAY.

4. Faerie Lord by Herbie Brennan
I don't know if you guys have heard of this series. It's a bit older. I think it's technically Urban Fantasy, which I don't normally love, but but I do have very fond memories of reading first one (Faerie Lord is the fourth in the series) way back in the day, so I think I'll have go back and do a re-read of the whole series.

5. Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce
YOU GUYS KNOW I LOVE TAMORA PIERCE, RIGHT? The first 3 quartets (Alanna, Daine and Kel) are my FAVORITES EVER. But then there came the Trickster Duology and I only read the first one (Trickster's Choice). I have the second one. I just need to read it (and the first one again to refresh my memory, of course). Also, from this you can probably guess I haven't read the Beka Cooper Trilogy. I have never been more ashamed of myself ever. 

6. The Diviners by Libba Bray
So I didn't buy this book until after I started blogging (maybe within the first two weeks) but I think about it, just sitting there on my shelf, every now and again. This is MOSTLY because it's got a lot of my big buzzwords in the summary (magic, 1920s, New York...). So I put it on the list to force myself to read it when I get home.

7. God Save the Queen by Kate Locke
I picked this one up this past summer because I love Steampunk. The second one in the series has since come out but I haven't read the first one yet. I guess the second one coming out is kind of incentive to read the first, considering I won't have to wait for the next installment....

8. The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan
DEAR PERCY JACKSON: I AM SORRY. I LOVE YOU. NEVER DOUBT THAT. 
But seriously? On my iCal, the day this book came out is called "Percy Jackson Day". Only, school got in the way and I never found the time to read past the Percabeth reunion (because, let's face it, I obviously had to read at least that far). The lovely Jennifer has lent me her e-copy of the book, though, so I WILL READ IT (*am excited*).

9. Horizon by Sophie Littlefield
I read the first two books in the Aftertime series but I haven't gotten to Horizon yet. It's SITTING ON MY SHELF, I just need to pick it up. But sometimes, because I run a YA blog, I tend to ignore the Adult books since I likely won't review them on the blog. That's not really an excuse though, because I started this series this past summer (before I started blogging). So basically I'm just the worst.

10. Tithe by Holly Black
I bought this one a REALLY, REALLY long time ago but I never read it. I don't know why. But everyone loves Holly Black SO MUCH so I figure I should stop ignoring this book of hers since I already happen to own it.

There are SOSOSO many other books on my shelves I've been neglecting, but these are the ones I feel like I NEED TO GET TO as soon as I get home and have access to them. Although, I'll be reading a lot more than 10 books because, as mentioned, a lot of these are series I'll probably have to re-read. And I think I'm doing a mass Tamora Pierce re-read this summer anyway (with some other lovelies - keep an eye out for that). So basically this Top Ten Tuesday topic opened a Pandora's Box of reading and nostalgia, which will likely lead to me being anti-social until the end of time. But my friends are used to this kind of behavior, so it should be okay.

Now tell me: What's on YOUR list? Do you have a lot of oldies-but-goodies whose next-in-series snuck past you like I do? Or is your list full of recent releases? Let me know in the comments below!

20 comments:

  1. Diviners is on my list too. Also, The Raven Boys. Not sure why I am not picking these up. ( well, the 100 or so other books I've got stacked around might have something to do with it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Raven Boys was AMAZING. And I have faith that we'll BOTH get to The Diviners!! It just sounds SO GOOD. And yes. Those 100 or so other books do seem to get in the way, don't they?

      Delete
  2. Eeeek! Read Insurgent. That is just wrong to leave THAT ONE on the shelf. haha I've been torn about The Maze Runner. It seems like such a love it or hate it kinda series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *EEP!* Okay, okay, when I get home I will re-read Divergent and do the whole Insurgent thing, I promise! As for The Maze Runner, it's been a REALLY LONG TIME since I read it so I can't tell you how presentGaby feels about but pastGaby really liked it. I'll let you know what futureGaby has to say when I catch up with her.

      Delete
  3. My list is full of books that are the beginning of series. Which makes me not want to read them half of the time because then I have to go out and buy the rest of the series if I don't already own them because I don't like abandoning the story if there's more! Eek!
    The Maze Runner is on my list though, so if I like it I'll probably have to go out and buy the next two like you did. And the Divergent series is one I still need to read, but haven't went out and bought it yet.
    I'm one of those crazy disciplined people who make rules about when they can buy books. I need to at least get most of my ten books done before I'll buy anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? I'm hard pressed to DNF a book and even harder pressed to DNF a series. I won't start unless there's a reason to, y'know??

      And I WISH I could be more disciplined. Teach me your ways??

      Delete
  4. YOU HAVEN'T READ TRICKSTER'S QUEEN? *gasps* (Just kidding - I can't fault you for that when I have her collection of short stories and even the Beka Cooper series left unread.) Perhaps this can be remedied during that super special THING.

    As for Insurgent, it may be a wise decision to wait until the third book is out. The second book is good, but it's so gosh darn FRUSTRATING. I love the characters so much that it was intense to go through all they went through in this book with them. I know I'm being annoyingly elusive, but I feel like you should go into it not knowing anything.

    I am also guilty of not reading Mark of Athena. I promise that I will fix that soon (else the boy will lecture me again!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE MUST FIX ALL OF THESE THINGS. The THING will help and Mark Of Athena I think we can take care of.

      But maybe I will wait on Insurgent. I also need to re-read Divergent. I'm sure someone will be doing a read-along when the new one comes out, so I'll join up then!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read THE DEATH CURE yet either. I'm not sure why as I enjoy The Maze Runner series. It's not my very favorite, but I do want to finish the story. Not sure why I keep putting it off ... pretty soon I'm not going to remember what happened in the first books and I'll have to read them all over again. Yikes!

    Good luck with your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH DEFINITELY read before you forget the first two!!!! I'm gonna have to re-read The Maze Runner but at least it's only one!

      Thanks for stopping by Susan! ^_^

      Delete
  6. Great list. I also have Insurgent waiting to be read. I have the first two Heir books waiting to be read too. Happy Reading!

    My Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. SO MUCH READING for both of us to do! Good luck!! ^_^

      Delete
  7. How could you not pick up Insurgent?! Is it not taunting you from your bookshelf?!
    But I really can't say much because I have loads of books unread on my shelves...
    The Diviners is on my wishlist and I've been wanting to read it for ages now so I totally envy you for owning it.

    Hope you get around to them sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WILL get around to all of these. It's just a question of when? *hides*

      Delete
  8. *is speechless and frozen for a few minutes* *begins running around and dancing like a maniac* YOU'VE READ FAERIE WARS!!!!!!!!!!! *huggles you until you can't breathe* I have SO been looking for another blogger who loves that series like I do! It is a *HUGE* favorite from waaaaaay back for me (I think I picked up the first one in Elementary school when it first came out) and I love love LOVE to re-read them at least once a year.

    If you're making me watch Veronica Mars (I believe it was you I had that convo with on Twitter, am I right?) I am MAKING YOU read the rest of this series (did you know there's an entirely new spin-off out? With Henry's DAUGHTER?!) I will even READ IT WITH YOU! And try to get the ENTIRE blogosphere to read it too, because that is practically my life mission.

    Seriously, though, I'm reading through this list and going "how did I not know you love Tamora Pierce (who is AWESOME btw!)?" And Percy Jackson! Although in that case, I'd actually recommend you not read it until the next one comes out because basically the end of Mark of Athena is a fall off a cliff into a big black void of scary-ness. Not even kidding.

    You're my new favorite. I hope that's okay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In regard to Mark of Athena: UH OH. I'm clearly in trouble because the wait for Mark of Athena was SO HARD FOR ME. I needed the reunion. NEEDED IT.

      BUT I am SOSOSOSOSOSOSO glad we have Herbie Brennan in common and that we're gonna do SOMETHING for that. We will make other people love it. I hope.

      Anyway, I'm GLAD to be your new favorite. I totally accept. Mostly because the fact that you know Herbie Brennan also makes ME excited!!! ^_^

      Delete
  9. Lol, blogging/reading more/large tbr has made me more antisocial as well :P

    What a WISE decision to wait to read Insurgent! I actually wish I did that because I'm just dyingggg for the third book!

    Lauren @ Lose Time Reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HMMMM more people encouraging me to wait. I THINK I WILL. Thanks for the advice Lauren!! ^_^

      Delete
  10. Oh Insurgent. Now I adored Divergent, but Insurgent was just as brilliant! I advice you DROP EVERYTHING AND READ IT. Or whenever you want, of course. But it's really good! And I should really start the Heroes of Olympus! I love PJ a whole lot, and I don't even have an excuse anymore. *moves up TBR list*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. HEROES OF OLYMPUS. YOU WILL SEE. IT IS AMAZING. PLEASE. And I really think I'm gonna wait on Insurgent. Not just because it's at home and I'm not >.<

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!