February 20, 2013

Waiting On: Born of Illusion by Teri Brown (12)

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly feature hosted by Breaking the Spine

Title: Born of Illusion
Author: Teri Brown
Release Date: June 11th, 2013
Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Anna Van Housen is thirteen the first time she breaks her mother out of jail. By sixteen she’s street smart and savvy, assisting her mother, the renowned medium Marguerite Van Housen, in her stage show and séances, and easily navigating the underground world of magicians, mediums and mentalists in 1920’s New York City. Handcuffs and sleight of hand illusions have never been much of a challenge for Anna. The real trick is keeping her true gifts secret from her opportunistic mother, who will stop at nothing to gain her ambition of becoming the most famous medium who ever lived. But when a strange, serious young man moves into the flat downstairs, introducing her to a secret society that studies people with gifts like hers, he threatens to reveal the secrets Anna has fought so hard to keep, forcing her to face the truth about her past. Could the stories her mother has told her really be true? Could she really be the illegitimate daughter of the greatest magician of all?

[Summary Source: Goodreads]

LOOK AT THE PRETTY. *Pets pretty* I wants it. And yes, I did just go all Smeagol/Gollum on you guys. In an attempt to be less creepy, I said pretty instead of precious, but I think you should all be worried for my mental health. Maybe. If you're the worrying type.

No, but seriously, when books take place in the 1920s and in New York City, I perk up like a dog who hears someone approaching the front door. I want, I want, and now I must impatiently wait. >.<

PS: It's worth mentioning that Teri Brown has an AWESOME website I could probably stare at all day. Fair warning, it makes a little noise, which I don't usually love, but this time it works for me. And it's totally mininal. AND THERE'S A CAT. I've linked you to the pretty website (to match the pretty book cover), so GO LOOK AT IT.

So TELL ME. What pretties are you guys anxiously anticipating this week? Please, share with me in the comments below!

14 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. New York. The Roaring 20's. And Houdini?! Yup. Color me intrigued! Oh no. Too many books! *head explodes*

    Melissa @ Sweet Treats and Thrilling Tales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?! TOO. MANY. BOOKS. I just want this one in particular. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by, Melissa!

      Delete
  2. Oh, wow. Yes! Please! Give it to me, I must have it! This reminded me of the new movie that's coming out called Now You See Me. It has the twinkie guy from Zombieland, Jesse Eisinberg, Morgan Freeman and Isla Fisher in it. A group of magicians rob a bank in Paris from Las Vegas :)

    My WOW post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'VE HEARD OF THAT MOVIE AND I WANT TO SEE IT! Jeeze, I'm excited about a lot of things. I just want all of the pretties.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. I am super excited about this one too!

    http://allodoxophobia.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um.... This may or may not be the most awesome book I've seen in a while. Magic in 1920s New York? Uh, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES PLEASE FOR ME TOO!! I love magic, I love NYC, I love 1920s... this book read my heart and mind.

      Delete
  5. I have to say you picked out an interesting book for this week. Hope you enjoy it! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT IS INTERESTING. I want it.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. Oh yes, I'd totally read this book. Great pick =D

    Here's my WoW!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, good! I love when everyone want to read the same books as me :)

      Thanks for stopping by Sana!

      Delete
  7. OH YES. I'm very excited for this one, partly because I'm partial to books set in NY and partly because it just looks and sounds like it'll be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!!? I love things like this. Love. We should jump on it together when it comes out :)

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!