February 19, 2013

Top Ten Favorite Characters in Fantasy/Contemporary (11)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
I’m cheating this week (as you could probably tell from the title of this post) and am doing Top Five Favorite Characters in TWO DIFFERENT genres. I did this mostly to stop myself from compiling a list consisting of ONLY Tamora Pierce characters. So really, you should all support my cheating.

TOP FIVE FAVORITE FANTASY CHARACTERS


1. Alanna of Trebond (The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce)
Alanna is my homegirl. I really don’t feel the need to say anything more than that. BUT I WILL. She's strong, brave and honestly, one of the most compelling characters I have ever read. Ever.

2. Veralidaine Sarrasri aka Daine (The Immortal Quartet by Tamora Pierce)
I love Daine just about as much as I love Alanna. She's similarly wonderful but in her own way. And she makes for an awesome hero.

3. Remus Lupin (Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling)
I have a VERY SERIOUS crush on Remus Lupin. But the Remus Lupin of books 1-6, not the Remus Lupin of book 7 because, seriously, if you think the Remus Lupin of book 7 even vaguely resembles the Remus Lupin of books 1-6, we cannot be friends.

4. The Darkling (Shadow & Bone by Leigh Bardugo)
So I could have picked Alina or Mal (BECAUSE I LOVE THEM BOTH), but The Darkling is the character in this story who really threw me for a loop and, as such, I had no choice but to pick him for this particular list.

5. Lyra Belacqua (His Dark Materials Series by Philip Pullman)
To this day, I think my absolute favorite part of Lyra is her name. I mean, she's totally badass and I love her to bits and pieces, but hello, her name is Lyra Belacqua.

TOP 5 FAVORITE CONTEMPORARY CHARACTERS


1. Adam (If I Stay and Where She Went by Gayle Forman)
I just want to HUG Adam FOREVER. Sorry Mia… But seriously, reading Where She Went absolutely broke my heart and it's crazy to think of his transformation between and during both books.

2. Hazel (The Fault in Our Stars by John Green)
Oh Hazel. I cry just thinking about you.

3. Augustus (The Fault in Our Stars by John Green)
If you have to ask why I picked both of the protagonists from The Fault in Our Stars, we can’t be friends anymore. Just a heads up. (Clearly I'm whittling down my list of friends this blog post... oh well.)

4. Chloe (Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe by Shelley Coriell)
I love Chloe. I don’t know if she and I would be friends, but I love her. She's just so whimsical and wonderful and flawed. 

5. Owen (Just Listen by Sarah Dessen)
No list is complete with Owen. NO LIST, I TELL YOU. He's the quiet strong type that makes me swoon big time. Not to mention he likes music, so we could bond over that.

I could make lists like these for every genre under the sun. But this particular topic says I can only pick the Top Ten, so I'll have to stop here. What genres did you guys make lists for? I'm all excited to read about who everyone else loves, to be sure to share in the comments below!

38 comments:

  1. Great list! Lyra also made it on my list this week for fantasy characters =D

    Here's my Top Ten for this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyra is so amazing. She really is one of those protagonists I can't get enough of. Awesome that you also did a fantasy list!!

      Thanks for stopping by, Lianne!

      Delete
  2. Oh I so agree about Owen. Especially any contemporary list....
    I love the list!

    Deidra @ Simply Books
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? LOVE Owen.

      Thanks for stopping by Deirdra!

      Delete
  3. I love Alanna and Remus and yes I also loved Owen and Adam.

    Great picks.

    Check out my Tuesday meme post here

    ~Danica Page@Taking it One Page at a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALANNA. I mean, also Remus, Owen and Adam, but ALANNA.

      Thanks for stopping by!! :)

      Delete
  4. AHHH! THE DARKLING! I was so convinced... and then my trust was torn into shreds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so didn't see that twist coming. It was insanity. INSANITY.

      Delete
  5. Great list, I love Hazel and Augustus pretty much the same amount as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome choices! I did the fantasy genre too! I also have The Darkling on my list. Sigh...
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. The Darkling really is ONE OF THOSE CHARACTERS, isn't he? ;)

      Delete
  7. Love all these characters! The Darkling... sigh... I did love him so! Also LOVED Chloe! She was so much fun to read. I don't know if we'd be friends either, but she was definitely a good one! And Lyra... don't get me started on my love of her! Love your list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! These Top Ten lists are SO HARD for me (which is why I sometimes cheat a little). And I'm glad you love Chloe. She's PHENOMENAL. More people need to love her.

      Delete
  8. Someone else noticed how much Remus changed! I think you are completely right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT MADE ME SO MAD. I don't even want to talk about it.

      Thanks for stopping by (and agreeing with me!) :)

      Delete
  9. Great list! I totally agree about Remus Lupin; he's so much better in the earlier books. And Hazel, and Augustus are amazing.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not even that he's better, he's just HIM, whereas in the 7th book he's just SOMEONE ELSE. So much anger over that.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  10. Yay for Lupin and Lyra, they're both amazing! Love that you put two genres in your post! It took me way to long to decide which genre to pick!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? Genres. The worst. But I'm glad you like my picks :)

      Thanks for stopping by Helene!!

      Delete
  11. Oh, Chloe! And OWEN. Just Listen is the only Sarah book I've read (so far).) I really enjoyed it. And The Darkling, while VERY TRICKSY, is also quite fascinating.

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY READ MORE SARAH DESSEN BOOKS IMMEDIATELY WOMAN. IMMEDIATELY.

      And The Darkling IS so very tricksy. I love it. LOVE. IT.

      PS: CHLOOOOOE.

      ^_^

      Delete
  12. REMUS LUPIN. My crush is more serious that yours. Just sayin'.

    Seriously, awesome list. But Remus. Oh, Remus. That scene - THE SCENE - THE MOST DEPRESSING SCENE - made me cry tears of utter devastation. I love him.

    Love it!
    Sierra @ Yearning to Read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you moving in on my book husband? For realz? Lady. Slow down. You don't even know. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by, Sierra!

      Delete
  13. OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT OWEN. But I did read the book over a year ago and my memory is nonexistent. I loved him!!! Also I love Alanna more than like any character on the planet. Seriously, when I was younger I used to pretend I was her that's how obsessed I was. And Lyra. Yes! Your list is full of so much win I can't even.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to make lists full of win.

      Owen is a love. I just want him to be awesome WITH me. Y'know?

      And yes to pretending to be Alanna. Yes. ;)

      Delete
  14. AH! Adam and Owen are two incredible characters. I'm not really sure how I forgot about Owen - but I did!! Both his and Adam's love of music! AH.

    Love your list! It's kind of amazing!
    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a lot of people forget about Owen. He's the strong, silent type and I love him. But you have a point about him and Adam both loving music. I never realized that before!

      Thanks for loving my list. And stopping by! :)

      Delete
  15. Oooh, I love how you split it 50/50. Of course, I love the fantasy half better. ;-)

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2013/02/top-10-tuesday-favorite-humorous.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HAD to. I was so torn. I love them both equally but I see why you would love the fantasy half more ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!!!

      Delete
  16. Great list! I nearly split mine into two fives as well, doing fantasy and sci-fi, but I couldn't think of enough sci-fi ones so I did fantasy for the whole 10 instead! I've never actually read any Tamora Pierce, but people love her so much and have heard such good things, I really must try her books sometime :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEFINITELY read Tamora Pierce. She's wonderfultown. She's one of those authors I wish wrote more so I could have more of her books all the time.

      Thanks for stopping by, Victoria! :)

      Delete
  17. Remus Lupin! He is such an awesome character but you're right in book 7 he wasn't himself. At all. And yay for Hazel and Augustus, love those two.

    Great list and I like the contemporary five way better than the other but that's just me and my love for contemporary books. =D

    Here's my Top Ten Tuesday post!

    Sana @ artsy musings of a bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remus. Oh Remus. *huggles*

      I get the contemporary love. I love fantasy just as much, which is basically why I decided I need to make two different lists :P

      Thanks for stopping by Sana! :)

      Delete
  18. You and your Remus crush <3 I adore all the Marauders (not counting Wormtail, OBVIOUSLY), and most Harry Potter characters, actually. Also, I'm reading Shadow & Bone soon and I'm EXCITED. Adam, Hazel AND Augustus make me go all "LET ME LOVE YOU". That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MY REMUS CRUSH. It is real. Why can't he be real? That'd be great.

      ALSO: KEEP ME POSTED ABOUT READING SHADOW AND BONE. We will talk about it like we're currently talking about Shatter Me and Unravel Me.

      PS: I get the "LET ME LOVE YOU" and I adore it. ;)

      Delete
  19. My heart is so incredibly happy that Daine is on this list. She's definitely my favorite female character from Tamora Pierce, and I think she deserves more credit (P.S. Don't forget our special project!)

    Also, the Darkling. He made me feel ALL THE THINGS. And I don't know how I feel about him anymore after finishing Shadow & Bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RIGHT? THE DARKLING. THE DARKLING. I can't even handle it.

      And I could NEVER EVER FORGET our special project ^_^

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!