March 28, 2014

YA Me (Probably the First in a Series)

Fact: I don't like coffee. I just like saying Coffee Clutch in my best and deepest New York accent. Considering I'm a New Yorker, I'm pretty freaking good at it. So I've got my tea and I hope you have your heated beverage of choice, because it's time to gab the day away.

A couple of weeks ago, my mom knocked on my door and said, "There's going to be a clothing drive this weekend." To which I said: "Exxxxxcellent" and proceeded to fill four garbage bags with clothing and shoes I no longer wear so I can go shopping for "adult clothing" with Estelle and have somewhere to put the new stuff. (Because, let's be real, I'm never not going to have too much clothing.)


Anyway, as I purged, I stumbled upon my prom dress (which I posted to Twitter because, well, why not?).

Here is it, with a close up of the pattern (and no, I will not dig up a picture of me wearing it that night, so don't even bother asking):


Please note: Those are not straps but those strings you use to hang strapless dresses with.

Finding my prom dress took me back.

Now, I bet you're waiting for me to gush about how much I loved high school and how many awesome friends I had, but I'm not. I hated high school and I never, ever want to go back. I'm good friends with maybe 2 or 3 people from the period of my life. It just wasn't a good time.

So you can imagine how little I wanted to go to prom. Especially since said prom was at a night club.

A. Night. Club. 

This night club business happened because at my high school, prom's against the rules, so it's all student run and my graduating class had to split the cost of rent and decorations for said night club. So basically I paid lots of money to torture myself. 
Anyway, I hunted for a dress for a while, couldn't find anything I liked, ended up with the turquoise monstrosity above. Then we did the limo and the the pictures and off we went to prom. 
Prom was terrible for me. I didn't want to be there, more than one guy I didn't (and still don't) like made me feel super uncomfortable and it was all around so not my scene. 
But after prom, everyone in my limo went back to my friend's house and we all changed, set up camp in his pool house, and turned on Across the Universe (followed by Rent - and yes, I know, you want to be at this after party too).
This portion of the night was fun. We all participated in some underage drinking, pulled out our yearbooks, and got a little nostalgic over some of the least pleasant years of my life. And I liked pretty much everyone who showed up at this post-prom event, so it was nice - a pleasant note for an unpleasant experience to end on.
And that's what my prom dress reminded me of. I hated high school and, in general, I don't look back on it fondly. But there were also good moments. The sweet little bits that remind me that the bad times were bad but nothing's ever bad forever and it's up to you to take what's bad and make the best of it. Sure, I chose to go to prom even though I knew it was going to be awful, but I also went to this specific after party (instead of the other one everyone in my grade went to) because this was the one that would make me happy. Because if I had to put myself through this absurd event, at least I'd get to end it on a high note. 
How did you feel about your prom? Love it? Hate it? Be sure to tell all in the comments below! Also, let me know if you like this sort of post. As I mentioned in the title, this might turn into a series of discussions/life advice/story time and I need feedback!