August 1, 2013

What Should I Buy? (1)

Every now and again, Barnes & Noble sends me a coupon. Obviously I buy far too many books and this really shouldn't be an issue, but whenever I get a coupon, my brain freezes. I feel like it has to be an IMPORTANT/SPECIAL book. Or at least a more expensive book if I'm going to get an extra whatever percent off (I usually get %15). So what I'll inevitably do is POLL TWITTER. This is tricky because people just start throwing things out there - even if I give them choices - and I just get confused and overwhelmed and then the loudspeaker tells me I have to get the hell out of the store in ten minutes and WAAAAAAAH.

So I decided to create this feature. Once I get a coupon, I'll show you a couple things I had in mind and you guys can tell me which book you think I should get (AND WHY. The why is important.). Depending on how lost I feel, I might even ask YOU GUYS to throw in one or two I might not have heard of that you honestly think I'll like. Now, if you suggest something not on this list, you should do so because you know me really well or you know what genres I like or you see what I'm interested in below and think GABY WOULD LOVE THIS. (Don't just pick your favorite book. That won't necessarily help me.)

Anyway, the coupon has arrived (Back-to-School - NOT FOR ME, THOUGH). It expires AUGUST 4TH. Which makes this whole thing time sensitive. SO HURRY UP AND HELP ME PICK.

1. The Beautiful and the Cursed by Page Morgan
Why I want to read this book: PARIS. I love Paris. It's also historical and set in the same-ish time as Belle Epoque, which I just finished and LOVED. HOWEVER, it seems like there's a paranormal aspect here, so I'm not sure...

2. How to Lead a Life of Crime by Kirsten Miller
Why I want to read this book: This book sounds INCREDIBLY different than just about everything I've heard of to date. And I like different. I also like crime shows. A lot. So I guess I'm curious to read about a school for criminals.


3. Catherine by April Lindner
Why I want to read this book: I've had my eye on this book for a very, very long time. I love Wuthering Heights. It's one of those books I had to read in high school and actually adored - like, started late one night and stayed up into the wee hours to finish adored. Basically I've been making eyes at this one for a while.

4. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier
Why I want to read this book: I first heard of this series fairly recently. Not sure why, since a lot of people seem to really like it. But also, TIME TRAVEL. And historical stuff. And LOOK AT THE PRETTY COVER. Needless to say I am stroking my imaginary beard as I contemplate whether or not I want this book on my shelf.

It is now time to help me be less indecisive. And PLEASE provide a reason for your choice. And let that reason not be "it's my favorite." I want to know why I would like it, not that you loved it. Although should feel free to explain why you did love it. Basically, leave a TITLE and a WHY in the comments below!

21 comments:

  1. I'd say Ruby Red: I read this book in one sitting and I loved it! The whole time travel aspect was really good and I liked the background involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read ANY of these so I can be no help to you except to say this feature is brilliant, and all these books sound incredible and I've heard great things about all of them, and I will just go slink away and die of uselessness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to Lead a Life of a Crime sounds interesting and gets my vote.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this new feature!

    My vote: Ruby Red. I haven't read it but, I want too and I've heard many good things about it!

    ~Allison @ Good Books and Good Wine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read this HOWEVER, I have heard nothing but good things about Ruby Red!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you which one to buy, because I haven't read any. I have read Jane by Lindner, and I thought that was great. I'm not a fan of Wuthering Heights, though, so I won't be reading Catherine.

    I do own The Beautiful and the Cursed, but haven't read it. That's a bad habit of mine, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How to Lead a life of Crime!!! It was so not what I expected but in a great way. It was dark but interesting and funny and unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How To Lead A Life Of Crime! This is the only book I've read out of the choices but I really liked it. But remember this is not in the mindset of Ally Carter, it's more like a Gillian Flynn novel. It's Harry Potter for sociopaths and psychopaths and it's not for the faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Beautiful and the Cursed gets my vote! But to be honest.... didn't you buy Slated not too long ago? How bout you throw some cash in your piggy bank and just read that instead?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruuuuuuuuuuuuubyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeddddddddddddddddd SERIOUSLY. GIDEON. WAIT NO I DON'T WANT TO SHARE GIDEON. UM. I DON'T KNOW.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruby Red!!! Seriously READ THIS BOOK!! This series is just one of those epic ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very original ides! I'd go with Ruby Red!

    Cynthia @ The Things You Can Read
    http://thethingsyoucanread.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote Ruby Red! I enjoyed it for the most part :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Umm... hi...

    I'm really shy and don't always comment, but I need to say this.

    The book Slated..... yeah, you know, the one by Teri Terry. You should read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I vote How to Live a Life of Crime, but I am biased. It's the only one I've read...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Catherine! I love April Lindner's retellings! :) Good luck choosing ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. On behalf of a round orange fruit, I vote Ruby Red. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ruby Red - I just finished it and then bought it, if that says anything :P Don't know if I missed the deadline for this, but... lol. CHIMING IN ANYWAY.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Clearly, I'm already late in weighing in on this decision. BUT if I had a time travel machine and could make my bid earlier, I'd go for How to Live a Life of Crime because you've been wanting that one for AGES. And it seems like the most different read from the selection!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!