August 20, 2013

Bout of Books 8.0: Progress Report

Welcome to my Bout of Books 8.0 Progress Report post. Because I am crazy and neurotic, I have separated this post from my Goals post. My Wrap Up post (to be posted in a week, when all of this is over) will also be a separate post. Although, I will be posting any and all of my challenges here, as they are part of my Bout of Books 8.0 Progress Report.

I hope that explanation made sense to you. I feel like it does to me but things often make more sense in my head that out of it. 

Anyway, in case you're wondering what Bout of Books is...
Bout of Books
The Bout of Books read-a-thon is organized by Amanda @ On a Book Bender and Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal. It is a week long read-a-thon that begins 12:01am Monday, August 19th and runs through Sunday, August 25th in whatever time zone you are in. Bout of Books is low-pressure, and the only reading competition is between you and your usual number of books read in a week. There are challenges, giveaways, and a grand prize, but all of these are completely optional. For all Bout of Books 8.0 information and updates, be sure to visit the Bout of Books blog. - From the Bout of Books team
Now, for my progress.

MONDAY
Number of books I've read today: 1/2 a book
Number of pages I've read today: 300
Books: 
1. Cress by Marissa Meyer - Just for the record, I was 100 or so pages into this one before Bout of Books started.

TUESDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one, halfway through another. 
Number of pages I've read today: 300
Books: 
1. Cress by Marissa Meyer - Started before Bout of Books began, finished today. Cress is a CHUNKY book (but with GOOD REASON). 
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - I'm about a third of the way through this book and I'm loving ALL of it. 

WEDNESDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one, about a third of the way through another.
Number of pages I've read today: 342
Books: 
2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - THIS BOOK. *sobs*
3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - I'm just about a third of the way through with this and I can already tell I'm never going to want it to end.

THURSDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one, about a fourth of the way through another.
Number of pages I've read today: 323
Books: 
3. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins - I now understand what everyone is talking about.
4. The Beginning of Everything by Robin Schneider - I really like that this one's from a male POV. And promises geekery. Really.

Today I decided to do a challenge. The Book Road Trip Challenge hosted by In Wonderland, to be exact. And here are the instructions for said challenge:

I love going on road trips or any kind of trip for that matter and I always bring a TON of books with me. For this challenge, I'd like for you to come up with a list of the top 5-10 states/places you'd love to visit and find a book (you either read or want to read) that takes place in that state/place or a book by an author who lives or is from there. :]

So my list is as follows.

1. London: Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill
2. Scotland: Ferryman by Claire McFall
3. Paris: A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard
4. Prague: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
5. Australia: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
6. Nantucket: Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland
7. North Carolina: All things Sarah Dessen
8. Lincoln, Nebraska: Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (I feel like I want to go here for the book and not the place, but WHATEVER.)
9. Washington: Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (This one is DEFINITELY not because I want to be in that book. I just can't think of another book that takes place in Washington right now.)
10. Carmel, California: The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot

That would be fun, don't you think?

FRIDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one, just started a second
Number of pages I've read today: 316
Books: 
4. The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider - This was an interesting read... I liked it a lot but I felt like something was missing maybe?
5. Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne - I like the POV here so far. It's male first person and I feel like I don't read a lot of those.

I'm gonna do another challenge today, okay? It's called The Bookish Madlibs Challenge hosted by The Space Between. Here be the rules:

I have made up a list of what words you need to supply, but they must all come from an actual book title, or be a character whose title or series you must list. You do not have to have these books in your possession, so go out and search the interwebs for the most fantastic books you can find, as long as I can verify they are real! You may even use a full or partial title instead of one word, if that title or phrase fits the category asked for, as I will show below. Please either post your answers below (Book list, and finished Mad Lib), or a link to your blog posts with the answers in the comments. You MUST include the list of book titles or you will be disqualified!

You can copy and paste this list into your entry, then replace each item with your book title and author:

A. Place name or type (from a book title) can be a proper name or noun like Italy or mountains
B. Fave Villain (from a book - list title/series)
C. Adjective (from a book title) (hot, cold, dark, etc.)
D. Number (from a book title)
E. Noun (from a book title)
F. Fave Hero/Heroine you wouldn't mind spending a LOT of time with (from a book - list title/series)
G. Dessert (from a book title)

Here we go...

A. NANTUCKET from Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland
B. THE DARKLING from Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
C. STRANGE from Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
D. THIRTEEN from Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
E. BONE from Daught of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
F. LEVI from Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (I feel like Levi might not be seen as a HERO, but, well, I love him and want to spend LOTS of time with him. So. Whatever.)
G. BROWNIES from Brownies and Broomsticks by Bailey Cates

If you haven't done this challenge yet and want to, you should probably NOT scroll down yet because, well, SPOILERS. If have done it or don't plan to play, please, carry on...

-
-
-
-
-

Help! I'm being held captive in NANTUCKET, by THE DARKLING!
It is very STRANGE here!
He is demanding THIRTEEN BONES to set me free!
I have just discovered that LEVI was captured too!
On second thought, please send BROWNIES, and don't worry if you don't hear from us for awhile!

Much Love,
Gaby

I can't see a single thing wrong with this scenario. Keep your bones, people, I'm staying in Nantucket with Levi and The Darkling. But do send those brownies.

SATURDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one, started another.
Number of pages I've read today: 310
Books: 
5. Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne - I liked this one because it's post-apocalyptic light in a way I think we could all imagine, but I think it fell a little flat.
6. This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales - The last book I read where the main character's a DJ was Welcome, Caller, This is Chloe. I hope I love this one as much as I loved Chloe!

SUNDAY
Number of books I've read today: Finished one.
Number of pages I've read today: 245
Books: 
6. This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales - A wonderful book about what it's like to feel unloveable. I suppose one might call it a suicide book, but I like the calling it a book about feeling unloveable instead.

GRAND TOTAL
Pages: 2,136
Books: 6

Stay tuned for my wrap up post... 

14 comments:

  1. 300 pages is awesome! I only got half that, but enjoyed my reads a lot. How's Cress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's great progress! I think I did about 50 yesterday. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 300 pages is excellent! Congrats on your progress! I really should start Marissa Meyer's series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait. Did you just say Cress?
    Like...in Marissa Meyer Cress?
    Like...in...that series that's pretty close to being my all time for ever, ever favorite series???
    Ahhh, you are so freaking lucky for having a copy already!
    I'm imagining with a book like that - it won't be hard to get through the Read-a-Thon in a blaze, right?
    Good luck with all of your reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 300 pages is awesome progress! And CRESS too - woot :). I hope it's living up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous! Cress! Way to go on 300 pages, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fangirl is on my TBR list. I have heard so many people gushing about it. I really need to give it a shot soon. And glad you enjoyed Cress :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Amazing progress. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your blog is soo pretty! :) Looks like you are going steady at 300ish pages a day! good job! :)

    http://bemusedbookworm.weebly.com/1/post/2013/08/bout-of-books-80.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. have fun with Levi, Brownies on the way!
    here is mine http://srivallip.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/bout-of-books-bookish-mad-libs.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a coincidence! The Darkling was holding me captive, too! It was nice of him to hold you in Nantucket, though. I was in Azkaban! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story on the Mad Libs challenge. This one was fun and I'm enjoying everyone's final stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mad libs challenge made me laugh! That sounds like a VERY ideal situation to me, in any case. And great job on Bout of Books this time around!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Also, if you have a blog, be sure to leave a link so I can go check it out!