Just a couple things before we get moving:
1. If you haven't been following along, whether from the start of this month or the start of the event, YOU CAN STILL CATCH UP/START WHENEVER YOU LIKE. There are no hard, fast rules involved in this whole event. We just want you to have fun!
2. UNFORTUNATELY, Rachel has a real life she can't ignore the way Alexa, Gillian and I apparently can. So she's pulled in JEN to take her place in our Fest of Pierce-ness. Jen is AMAZINGLY LOVELY and fits right in with this Tamora Pierce loving group. So even though I KNOW you'll all miss Rachel, just as I do (and I see her IRL pretty much weekly, if not more), be sure to wave hello to Jen and welcome her to Corus/Tortall/WHEREVER TAMORA PIERCE TAKES US.
3. I want there to be a third thing on this list because I like lists to be at least three things long. But I have nothing. So now I'm just wasting ERRBODY'S time.
Title: Wolf-Speaker (The Immortals #2)
Author: Tamora Pierce
Release Date: January 21st, 1994
Publisher: Simon & Schuster (Originally)
Page Count: 281
Rating: *Insert joyous wolf cry here*
When humans start cutting down trees and digging holes in peaceful Dunlath Valley, the wolves know that something is wrong. They send a messenger to the only human who will listen -- Daine, a fourteen-year-old girl with the unpredictable power of wild magic. Daine and her closest companions heed the wolves' cry for help. But the challenge they are about to face in the valley is greater than they can possibly imagine...
[Summary Source: Goodreads]
So in book two of The Immortals series, Daine and Numair take a trip up North to Dunlath. Her wolf buddies from home had to relocate because of human trouble and now there's some more human trouble, but this time the pack's not budging. Enter Daine. Because obvs the girl who speaks to animals AND people has to come clean up everyone else's messes.
I also love how frank and honest Daine is about everything - the way she sees the world is so REFRESHING. Like, there's no convoluted mess of silliness. And she's willing to LEARN NEW THINGS. She even sort of CHANGES HER MIND about the Stormwings by the end of the book and that progress is STUNNING and SO REALISTIC (even in a fantasy realm where just about everything is made up - which just goes to show people are PEOPLE and should behave like people, despite the world you build around them).
|THE ORIGINAL COVER.|
But things are never just as easy as I make them seem in my little recaps. No. There's some kind of larger, multi-country conspiracy thing going on, which HAPPENS to (awesomely) relate to the larger story arc of this series - the one involving Carthak and a very power-hungry Emperor Mage Ozorne.
Okay. So. Soon after getting to Dunlath, Numair and Daine get separated. Like, really separated for most of the book. Numair leaves to get help and gets trapped outside this crazy keep-everyone-out dome. Which is when Daine has to step up and start kicking ass.
But I totally feel like that's the point. Book one, Daine needed a lot of help, love and hugs so she could feel comfortable in her own skin - feel like she belongs. Now in book two, Daine needs to step into her own. She needs to prove to HERSELF that she can master her powers on her own and really take care of herself and others.
Daine also needed to prove to the readers that she's a protagonist worth reading about, even though she's so young. Which she totally did, btdubs. She ONE HUNDRED PERCENT kicked all of the behind, more or less all by herself. I mean, she had some guidance from the Badger, Numair (from the other side of the wall), Tkaa the Basilisk (!!) and others, but it was Daine who did the acting. It was Daine who took CONTROL of her powers and taught HERSELF a new trick or two, which was absolutely amazing.
|My covers - the ones I feature at the very top - are def my faves but these are AMAZING too.|
I suppose I need a paragraph about Numair because he's wonderful and cares SO MUCH about Daine (AHEM). But he's not really in this book, just as Alanna's not really in this book. But do you know who's kind of in this book? RAOUL. RAOUL OF GOLDENLAKE. MY GENTLE GIANT. HELLO MY LOVE. I HAVE MISSED YOU. It was just a hot little second but it made me so unbelievably happy that I don't even know what to tell any of you guys.
*Sigh* Daine, returning characters, kickass plot that sheds light on the larger plot AND Daine's personal character development... it honestly doesn't get much better than this, you guys. Tamora Pierce really is a freaking book writing goddess.
Are you in love with Tamora Pierce, Daine Numair and EVERYONE ELSE yet? If not, what's the hold up? I WANNA HELP. And if you DO love, tell me WHY. Do you have the same reasons as me or other? Let me know in the comments below!
JUST IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING: That giveaway's still going strong, my lovelies!
1 set of any Tamora Pierce series (which is, at max, FOUR books)
1. The giveaway is open INTERNATIONALLY, as long as Book Depository ships to you.
2. All entries will be verified, so please do not forget to include the correct information.
3. Winner will be contacted as soon as they are chosen. They will have 48 hours to respond with the pertinent information, or their win will be forfeit and another will be chosen.
4. The bloggers will not be held responsible for condition or timeliness of the book shipment, as they are being shipped by a third party organization. Please note that we will try to keep you informed of the status of your prize.
a Rafflecopter giveaway