May 13, 2014

Top Ten Books I Put Off Reading For Dumb Reasons (52)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
So this week's Top Ten Tuesday post is TECHNICALLY "Top Ten Books I Almost Put Down But Didn't," but, honestly, the books I almost put down but don't usually don't fit on any Top Ten list. I mean, I don't dislike them or anything (mostly), but I don't have a Top Ten of them. I also generally suck at DNFing and don't really think about doing so while reading (unless I'm really, really miserable). So then I was going to do "Top Ten Books I Almost Didn't Pick Up." But then when I was putting together the list, I realized this post is actually titled "Top Ten Books I Put Off Reading for Dumb Reasons." Which is how we got here.


1. DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE by Laini Taylor
The Dumb Reason: "The cover is really pretty but this summary doesn't explain anything to me. What is this book about? Why should I read it?" 
Post-Reading: "OOOOOOH. Gosh, Past Gaby, you're a dodo."

2. THE ARCHIVED by Victoria Schwab
The Dumb Reason: "More pretty cover, I like, but this is yet another book where the summary makes no sense to me. Pass for now."
Post-Reading: "Dear Future Gaby: If ever there is a fantasy/paranormal book is questionable, unclear cover copy, pick it up immediately. Immediately."

3. AMY & ROGER'S EPIC DETOUR by Morgan Matson
The Dumb Reason: "Eh, I'll get to it. Someday."
Post-Reading: "Lisa is the best Epic Recs buddy in the world. Never question her judgement or Morgan Matson. Ever."


4. GRACELING by Kristin Cashore
The Dumb Reason: "I want this to be good. What if it's not good? Then how upset will I be?"
Post-Reading: "YOU'RE SO DUMB, OF COURSE THIS BOOK WAS GOOD YOU ARE THE OPPOSITE OF UPSET."

5. GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers
The Dumb Reason: "This book is so long."
Post-Reading: "Thank. God. For. Lisa."


6. PIVOT POINT by Kasie West
The Dumb Reason: "I'll get to it. I will."
Post-Reading: "I like making wagers with Debby. We should do this always."

7. IF I LIE by Corrine Jackson
The Dumb Reason: "Oh man, this sounds so sad. Can I do this? Can I?"
Post-Reading: "It doesn't matter if you can, Past-Gaby, you have to."


8. SHATTER ME by Tahereh Mafi
The Dumb Reason: "What are these cross outs? Is this going to be about a whiny girl? And there's a love triangle..."
Post-Reading: "YOU LOVE CROSS OUTS, WHINY GIRLS, AND THIS PARTICULAR LOVE TRIANGLE. FOREVER."

9. CINDER by Marissa Meyer
The Dumb Reason: "Cyborgs?"
Post-Reading: "Why would you ever think you wouldn't love cyborgs? Why?"

10. SCARLET by A.C. Gaughen
The Dumb Reason: "Well, I just read Cinder and it's sequel Scarlet and my brain doesn't like the identical title..."
Post-Reading: "You're really, really not smart, Past-Gaby."

Have you been putting off reading these books? Do you have "reasons," too? Let me know what they are in the comments below! (And if you're really smart and have read all these books, you can also fill me in on that in the comments below.)