April 17, 2014

Pick of the Week: The One Where I Want to Write Someone a Letter


Pick of the Week is... well, it's exactly what it sounds like. Once a week I pick a book. I may pick said book because I'm super excited about it. Or maybe I was super excited about it, forgot how excited I was, and am now using this to refresh my memory. It's also possible said book was blurring in with all the other books in my brain and I want to get re-excited about it. Another possible option is that I just want to flail about a book I'm about to read/am currently reading. Basically, I'm writing a love-note to a book I haven't started/finished yet to build hype for both myself and my reader. Which doesn't sound like a smart plan, but, oh well, too late.

And in case you want more of an origin story, you can check out my first Pick of the Week post.

So my pick for this week is a little bit different. As in, the format's a little bit different. This book's made up of a series of letters addressed to dead people. If that's not noteworthy, I don't know what is.

Okay.

Ready to know what my pick of the week is?


Like I mentioned before, the format of the book is different, and I like different. I mean, I might not like different in practice but just the fact that it's so unlike everything else out there perks my interest. Not to mention, I'm kind of excited about all of the different celebrities people Laurel, the main character, writes letters to. Some died more recently, but others less so and I'm interested to see who she writes to, when, and why. I feel like that'll be really telling of who she is as a character.

Also, this book sounds heavy and the fact that Laurel writes to dead people definitely adds to the heaviness.

Basically: I'm excited.

Have you read this one yet? Am I right to be excited? How did/do you feel about the different-ness of this book's format? Be sure to let me know in the comments below!