February 20, 2014

What Should I Buy? (4)


Hi Darlings!!

I don't have a coupon, but my friend, Estelle, who blogs over at Rather Be Reading, does and she need some book buying advice. Since she knows about "What Should I Buy?" she asked if she could write up a guest post in order to seek said advising from all of you! I obviously said yes because I wanna help and because I love this feature and feel bad whenever I use a coupon impulsively and forget to put it to a vote. So please, advise away!

What Should I Buy? (Hi It’s Estelle)

Hello, royal subjects! How do you do? I’m doing just fine today because I am about to chat with you about books, buying books, and saving money. Is there anything more awesome than those 3 things? No, not really.

I’ve just completed a 3-month book buying ban. Something I desperately needed to do because my apartment was getting crowded, my to-be-read list was out of control, and my bank account was starting to get cranky with me.

I’m not going to lie. It wasn’t easy. So many of you write about awesome books every single day, and there were many mornings I was drooling over an Amazon cart only to get a sick feeling in my stomach and close out of the site completely. The hard work paid off, though. Because moderation is important. It makes you appreciate what’s around you more, and it causes you think a little bit harder about what’s worth purchasing.

Barnes & Noble knows exactly the right time to send me coupons. My birthday just passed, and then there were 2 twenty-percent off coupons right in front of me? Pretty difficult to pass up. So I decided it was only fair to not let those go to waste because it was a special occasion and the ban had lasted longer than I ever imagined it would.

I NEED A NEW BOOK, DAMMIT.

Ahem. So I have a list but I need some help, friends. I am already set on buying Sex & Violence by Carrie Mesrobian (I cannot find it in any bookstores around NYC and I’ve heard great things) but book 2? I have no idea. This is where you come in! Help me go shopping. Help me make smart decisions. I’m counting on you!


1. Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith: I am a huge fan of Winger, and I’ve already heard some great things about GJ. I’m a little wary because people have said it’s “weird” and “different” and what if that translates to me not enjoying it?

2. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard: I’m not much of a fantasy girl, I know. But 2014 is all about PROGRESS and MOVING FORWARD, and I also just finished reading Shadow and Bone so… after all the cheerleading I’ve heard for this book, I’m ready to see what all the fuss is about.

3. Tell The Wolves I’m Home by Carol Brunt: THIS book made so many end of year lists and I was so close to buying it at Target the other day. It’s not classified as a young adult book but it does focus on a 14-year old girl reeling from the death of her uncle.

4. The Art of Wishing by Lindsay Ribar: Genies, magic! Such a “me” book, and book 2 is coming out this summer. Truth be told, I like the upcoming paperback design better than the hardcover but this book has been on my radar for so long and I’m getting a bit impatient!

5. Sacred by Elana K. Arnold: I read Burning by Arnold last year, and was so blown away, I immediately wanted to get to her backlist. Sacred is actually her debut so there’s nothing like starting at the beginning of an author’s work!

6. All The Truth That’s In Me by Julie Berry: When Hannah from So Obsessed With says she is pushing a book, you know she means serious business. I probably wouldn’t have looked at this book twice if it wasn’t for her. (Is it the face on the cover? I seem to gloss over those.) So I’m more than a little curious…

I can’t wait to hear what you have to say about this list! I must (haha) use these coupons by February 28 so time is ticking, ticking away… thanks in advance; I’d buy all of you who weigh in milkshakes if I could.

Raincheck?

--------------

So can you guys help? Vote in the comments below so Estelle can get an accurate count of who's voting for what and why!