September 8, 2013

Veronica Mars Watch-Along Week 19

[Graphic designed by the lovely Judith of Paper Riot]
So, how does this work, super sleuths? Go check out the Watch-Along kick off post for the skinny. I'll give you a second just in case...

All caught up? Good.

In case you already know the basics and just forgot what episodes are up today, here's the list:
  • "Ain't No Magic Mountain High Enough" 
  • "Versatile Toppings"
And for NEXT WEEK:
  • "The Quick and the Wed"
  • "The Rapes of Graff"

I just realized that we're over halfway through with this thing. I hope you know what comes next by this point.

THE NOIR
So episode one for this week has always been one of my favorite Veronica Mars episodes. It's a classic who dun it that brings me all of the joy. Basically, there's a carnival and the cashbox is stolen, so it's up to Veronica to figure out what happened. All of the back and forth and different angles of this particular case were so twisty. I mean, there were like 8 different things happening at once and all my favorites were engaged. Veronica managed to figure out that J.B. and Mrs. Hauser (who is the worst) are evil doers, Madison Sinclair got hers, Dick also got his - from Mac and Cassidy who are now together, Logan's working on this plastic surgeon guy (although it kind of sucks that he's using this nice, overly skinny girl to help), Jackie's making a rebound and Weevil is proving that an old dog CAN learn new tricks.
Just a note about that last thing - I kinda didn't want Weevil to have committed the crime. But at the end, when we found out he did, well, I wasn't unhappy. He needed new wheels. And now senior trip can suck less. And also, this is a clear display of Veronica's affection for the ex-biker, no doubt about that. I'm only sorry that Thumper didn't actually get in trouble. (I know. I'm the worst.)
Now, for all of the awesome that the first episode this week was, episode two was kind of weak. The high school mystery was kind of flat - I understand why that girl did what she did but it wasn't very nice to her girlfriend and it takes a kind of "whatever" tone to the LGBT community within high schools. Which I didn't like. I did like all the stuff going on with Keith and Terrence Cook though. That was interesting. I would have liked to stick with that storyline. Maybe Veronica could have done more digging there, instead of just her crazy reveal of the explosives in Terrence's hangar at the end of the episode, but whatever.

PARENTAL PROBLEMS
This isn't a problem per se, but I didn't want to think up a new category.
I just think the parallel lines being drawn between Keith and Veronica and Terrence and Jackie are really interesting. It makes me wonder what Keith and Veronica's relationship was like before everything came down around them. I always get the feeling that Veronica was really close to her mom and then once she left and all the bad stuff happened, she got closer with her dad, but what if they weren't really ever close to begin with? Not that Jackie and her dad and becoming besties off camera - I don't think we've ever seen them on screen together not fighting. But what if that's a possible end destination for the two of them?

I don't know. This is a fan fiction worthy line of questioning. I mean, I think Veronica was the kind of girl who would be a little bit of a Daddy's girl (as opposed to the bad girl who fights with her dad the way Jackie does) but maybe the sneakiness and all of the going behind Keith's back isn't connected to her "ALL OF THE BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO ME" transformation.

Yeah. Definitely fan fiction. Someone get on that and alert me to the updates.

BRING ON THE SNARK
Veronica: "Oh, Madison, you have a little..." [taps nose]
Madison: "What? Brown? Because I'm a brown-noser?"
Veronica: "No. Glitter. Because you're a fairy princess."

I have no idea why I think this so funny. I just do.

Jackie: "School carnival? Me, you, and the Shake Shack doing a little "You're the One That I Want"? I am so there."

GREASE. I SPY A GREASE REFERENCE. I am so pleased by this.

Veronica: "Get your ice cold frozen...sugar water."
Logan: "You had me at "ice cold.""
Veronica: "What's your poison?"
Logan: "Ah, emotionally unavailable women. Let's see...uh, I want something that suits my mood."
Veronica: "Oooh, I'm sorry. We're all out of liquid evil."

I just love this witty banter. But I'm not sure if it's better when they're together or when they're apart...

Dick: "I am so good at this game, bro."
Logan: "Shooting in a clown's mouth. Your future's bright, Dick."

*pets Dick on the head* The boy is so lucky he has a trust fund.

Veronica: "And for my next trick, I will take J.B. into the hallway, whisper a few magic words, and when we return, he’ll confess."
J.B.: "Yeah, yeah, that’ll happen."
Veronica: "Don’t oversell it, J.B. People will think you’re a mark. Step right this way."

MAGIC TRICKS!

Ms. Hauser: "What are you doing? Get down from there!"
Clemmons: "Miss Mars…"
Veronica: "This isn’t a sweater. All right, cash! How’d you know?"

BUSTED. Veronica is pulling out the good GOTCHYA lines this week.

Veronica: "Buck up, Maddie. Senior trip is back on, sister. Six grand – we’re Magic Mountain bound. Oh, you know there’s a ride called the Viper, right? Isn’t that, like, your mother ship?"

Ah the giggles.

THE BOYS
No more Duncan, but yes more Cassidy. I can work with this.

  • Wallace: I like how he threw those balls over the dunk tank to spare Jackie. I hate that that teacher stopped him. So much. 
  • Logan: Oh Logan. Using this poor girl? Sads. But I still love you. Always and forever.
  • Dick: HA. Getting yours, Dick. Getting yours.
  • Cassidy: You're precious and hilarious. I'm sorry your family is your family.
  • Weevil: This is a nice little makeover you've got going for yourself this episode. I also like how clever you've gotten. But stop stealing huge amounts of money, okay?

And that's a wrap for this week. Let me know your thoughts on my silly little TV-related rambles in the comments below!

**ONE LAST REMINDER**
NEXT WEEK:

  • "The Quick and the Wed"
  • "The Rapes of Graff"